Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tan68
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,921Gear list
Like?
Re: Not Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD
In reply to wchutt, Mar 31, 2013

wchutt wrote:

... This is difficult because practically all in-camera histograms are only estimate the real, but unknown, exposure since the histograms are computed from from JPEGs.

research 'uni-whitebalance'.  you end up with a truly pants photo, but using uni-WB very much decreases the chances of clipping a channel.

the photo is pants because it will be green.  proper WB is restored later.  obviously, this is a RAW-required technique.

if getting the most out of ETTR is important, the Uni-WB setting could be saved as a preset and used when necessary. you will likely want a gray card or something to set WB, too.

Personally, I have become happy with expose 'toward' the right with newer cameras as there are fewer times when i feel like i need to put a histogram against the right stops either for DR or noise control.  so, i have only experimented with Uni-WB.  once.  it didn't mean anything.  honest.  we were both just drunk..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow