Resolution of M43 lenses

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,066Gear list
Like?
Re: I disagree
In reply to Dr_Jon, Mar 31, 2013

Dr_Jon wrote:

Not arguing with that at all (kinda tough to judge though), plus I do like sharpness (can't really add actual detail later) as when being out and about I sometimes take some bird/animal pics that need a lot of cropping.

After a certain point I care about other characteristics on the lens too. For example I have a (rather old now) Canon 70-300 DO lens which is really not that sharp (compared to stuff with Ls in their names) away from the short end. However I just love its rendering of photographs, so every time I consider selling it I take some pics and decide I really want to keep it (okay, then usually take a sharper lens out with me 95% of the time...) For m43 I'd take really nice out-of-focus rendering over absolute sharpness on fast(er) lenses, just I'd like quite a lot of sharpness along with that please, well at least for a grand (UKP) anyway.

Of course there is more to lens performance than the MTF values. I am in full agreement with you about that. Fortunately, the two MFT lenses I would primarily try to use for subject isolation by means of background blur (Oly 45/1.8 and 75/1.8) both have very good bokeh on top of very good resolution, so I don't have to make a choice between the two virtues.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow