Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD...no ...luminous landscape explains
In reply to Sovern, Mar 31, 2013

As others have said better than I ever could, many disagree with presentation.

Go to luminous landscape that has an article that explains fully and clearly why ETTR is used. QUOTE FROM LL Article ''The reason why we want to expose every shot that we take with the data as far to the right of the histogram as possible is because that's where the data is! It also is where the visible noise isn't. The visible noise is lurking in the darker stops.'

Yes, on one occasion you used exposing per camera for JPEG's....of course, it mattered FOR THAT occasion.

But, if for some reason, say severe unavoidable backlighting, would you have exposed 'according' to camera's matrix metering, or compensated to get the subject 'right' to be able to print there and then?

It depends on the circumstance and also ON THE CAMERA'S SENSOR.

Some sensors do not have the highlight room of others, while some have greater tolerance. One must take that into account also, as to how far one goes.

Of course if you are shooting to email the results off to a news editor in a half hour, chances are you will be pushing to get things fast and furious i.e. getting the exposure' close enough' quickly.

But if you have the time to maximize the sensor, one must use all the tools, including PP, to get what one wants out of the sensor.

The only rule is...one must not generalize. It depends on the circumstances.

but as I said, luminous landscape article explains the rationale, science behind ETTR very well.

On SNR ratio

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

quote''

The simple lesson to be learned from this is to bias your exposures so that    the histogram is snugged up to the right, but not to the point that the highlights    are blown. This can usually be seen by the flashing alert on most camera review    screens. Just back off so that the flashing stops.''   On ETTR:   http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/optimizing_exposure.shtml

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow