Harold66
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,369Gear list
Like?
Re: personal preference versus facts
In reply to vbd70, Mar 31, 2013

vbd70 wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

Vieri

You cannot disagree with FACTS. you are expressing your personal preference and that is fine . That being said , the 24mm FOV is today the most sold wide angle in semi professional and professional lenses.

as for the so-called gap, the difference in the field between a 24 and a 28mm is a big one , enough so that the 28mm has fallen out of favors.

and the cherry on the cake is that a t24mm is a little bit easier to design than a 21mm

but again this is pure speculation as there is NO logical reason to think that a new dpm with a fourth FL would come to the market

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.harold-glit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Harold,

well, you are wrong here. I can disagree with your FACTS as much as i want, no matter how many caps you use, actually...

OK. Let's talk facts. So, are you quoting statistics? Post a link please so I can check them out. Plus, define wide angle. Prime? Zoom? Define semi professional / professional lenses. Which professionals? Etc.

Ok this one is easy . Just take a look at the pro lenses in Nikon Canon , catalog .Look at how many 24mm you have and now compare with 21mm.  This is even true of mirorless cameras ( arguably a market that sigma would look at for a new focal length for the DPM). there is 24mm FOV for olympus , for Sony . I do not know of ANY 21mm FOV in the mirorless market

These are FACTS... oopps sorry make that facts ... and this is easily verified by anyone here on the forum who can spend  5 minutes on any photo store website

Back to my opinions. I can state without doubt, for instance, that a wider lens than 24mm has a prominent place in the bag of nearly all Landscape photographers I know. All architectural photographers would be dead in the water if they had to limit themselves to 24mm. For instance, Nikon-based architectural photographers have been envying Canon's 17mm T-S forever; some even buys a Canon body just to use that lens.

Part of what you say is correct but it does not change my point  it is true that architecture photographers would need very wide lenses but in most cases they would choose a shift lens so in this case the sigma dp cannot really address this target market

You also contradict yourself when you say "as for the so-called gap, the difference in the field between a 24 and a 28mm is a big one , enough so that the 28mm has fallen out of favors". If the gap were so big as you say, the 28mm wouldn't have fallen out of favour: there is always a place for very different focal length lenses in a serious photographers bag

No not necessarily no. Most photographers  prefer to choose the lens they really need

.So please, let's keep this as it is: your opinion against mine.

Nope that is not it

Again, since Sigma has already a 28mm FOV equivalent Merrill, and seeing the target a wide(r) Merrill would target, it would make much more sense for Sigma to make it 21mm or even better 18mm FOV equivalent. This is my opinion of course, I never said otherwise. You have the right to disagree, but I'd rather not talk about FACTS...

yes I think your opinion is clear , but the facts still speak for themselves

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.harold-glit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow