Reading resolution charts comparing MFT lenses to FX lenses

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Questions thread
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,552Gear list
Like?
Re: Reading resolution charts comparing MFT lenses to FX lenses
In reply to Anders W, Mar 31, 2013

Anders W wrote:

While the Nikkor 14-24/2.8 may be worse than some others when it comes to distortion, my general point is that FF WAs, particularly rather strong WAs, are hardly free from distortion although they are likely to have less, prior to software correction, than MFT equivalents. What that means is that the difference between lenses designed to be software-corrected for distortion (as are Oly and Pany MFT WAs) and those which are not (FF WAs) is less than one might first think. As a rule, we are talking no more than a couple of percentage points and the impact of that difference on the final resolution figures is really marginal.

Although as the corners of a UWA are likely to be the worst bit and relatively worse than with longer lenses you (err, I, I meant the generic "you") could argue that the less extra messing about you do with them the better. Hence my 14/2.8 purchase (1.7% distortion on a 14 is very impressive IMHO and the results look pretty good straight OOC).

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow