Resolution of M43 lenses

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,356Gear list
Like?
Re: I disagree
In reply to texinwien, Mar 31, 2013

I do agree with you, and added a like, but will say that if the trade-off for the distortion correction is some other attributes that are much better than you would expect but would be very hard to fix in software then it's perhaps not so bad a trade-off, e.g. better flare resistance (err, doesn't seem to do that) or better out-of-focus rendering (I like the 35-100, early days with the 12-35), or less vignetting (no) or less residual spherical aberration (probably not so important with m43 and f2.8) or ...

I have no idea which of these qualities it might have, it may well just be priced to match their production capability to demand. Simply pointing it out as another thing to consider.

(I have both the f2.8 zooms and they are okay if a little over-priced in my view, the latest Canon equivalents are a lot better, especially wide open, but a lot more money, size and weight. Horses for courses I guess.)

P.S. (edit) my GH3 doesn't do a great job correcting the 12-35 and leaves quite a lot of distortion in the JPEGs at the wide end, DXO does a much better job so perhaps I should see what gets thrown away to pay for that. (Actually I don't care, I prefer right-angle corners on rectangles, not triangles sticking out.)

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow