Has the X20 met or failed your expectations?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lmendy
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
Re: Has the X20 met or failed your expectations?
In reply to Nukunukoo, Mar 31, 2013

Nukunukoo wrote:

2eyesee wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

tron555 wrote:

And you think that noisy, colorless, worthless, no detailed image is worth bragging about?! Come on, surely you can do better than that, or maybe not.

I posted some other images AND pointed out WHY I am impressed with this particular one. But obviously with your trolling style you have very little to contribute and thus is a waste of all our time. You deliberately picked the worst of the bunch and gawked on it withoit having the intelligence to read its context.

The problem is though that you don't have to look far to find problem X20 images. I posted 100% crops of the 2 images uploaded by Mickey LeBeau which illustrated the much talked about 'watercolour' effect and lack of detail in low contrast areas. Not the photographers fault.

And here another posted by Lmendy above:

It really surprised me how bad this looks for ISO200, 1/900 sec shutter speed in bright sunlight.

I see. Thank you for pointing that out. Unfortunately, the X20's OOC JPEG is not something I am crazy about. Not only is the rendering bad but I believe the NR is way too aggressive by default (which can be reduced by -2 in the menu, I have not tried if that would help though.)

Still, that image is NOT representative of the camera's capabilities. To make reference to one of my posts

Mind you, this crop is based on an image that has already been saved TWICE using average JPEG quality, so the IQ will be lower than the original. No NR is applied.

At ISO320 and less light (more prone to noise), this picture that has NO NR applied to it exhibits good noise grain and the high contrast between the hair and highlight exhibits no watercoloring effects. Something that I find much better than on my LX7 and S110.

While my use of the X20 can't replicate the effect, I believe the NR is set too high + OOC JPEG quality (which is NOT impressive with the X20). Since my workflow ALWAYS must begin with RAW, I do not get into these issues.

suppose for people who only deal with JPEGs and nothing else will not be able to realize the full capacity of this camera. That would be such a waste of investment in their part and would have been better off with something cheaper and has better JPEG rendering such as the LX5/LX7 or the Nikon P7100 (Oh, wait, that's expensive too... but look at those JPEGs!). I didn't mention the S110 because, I also am not happy on how it renders its JPEGs.

I hate to say it, but the NR is to aggressive.  I will be shooting some snaps a family get together today and have reduced the NR to -2.  The camera is very compelling and fun to use and I hate to give it up because of aggressive NR.  If the use of -2 NR does not help, I guess it is just time for me to start shooting raw most of the time.

Lmendy's gear list:Lmendy's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm X-E2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow