Who's going from m4/3 to dSLR or vice versa.

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
photo chris
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
Re: Who's going from m4/3 to dSLR or vice versa.
In reply to Steve, Mar 31, 2013

I got tired of lugging the 5d2 and experimented with the Nex7 (hated tri-navi and the Sony menu's), GH2 (good video, everything else was a mess) and EM5 (awesome, but small buttons and the menus are a disaster) and eventually migrated back to a 5d3 because of f/2.8 zooms (shallower DOF than M43 equivalents), better AF for indoor/low light event coverage and shallower DOF stuff - but especially with f1.4/1.2 lenses.  There are qualities with my shooting style that m43 can't replicate without stitching - and in some situations that's just not possible.  I do like the video out of the Nex cameras so I picked up a cheap Nex5n and some lens adapters to use as a B camera on video shoots, but it still has Sony's dreadful controls.

To alleviate the crappy control issue (for me) and to have something much easier to carry everywhere I picked up a Fuji Xpro1.  Its almost (for me) the ultimate mirrorless solution.  It's a great second cam IQ-wise to the 5d3 and the controls/menus are better than any camera I've used.  Shooting is so intuitive and it only took one afternoon of shooting before everything became second nature.  As a bonus, IQ and noise is better than any other APS-c or m43 camera.  Looking forward to the rest of Fuji's lens roadmap to play out this year along with a Xpro1 revision to the new X-trans2 that's in the X100s.

I have toyed with the idea of a GH3 for video a couple the Fuji's for stills at some point, but low light focusing for indoor paid shoots just can't cut it for me.  Sadly the 5d3 must remain, for now...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
pollNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow