Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lindsay D
Regular MemberPosts: 342
Like?
Re: Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated
In reply to rtf, Mar 31, 2013

rtf wrote:

Hi everyone. Sorry if this seems a little off topic but your the people that directly fit my question.

I now have a medical issue with the nerves in my middle fingers of my left hand (due to broken fingers years ago). I have major problems using lenses much bigger than a 50mm (gutted). My doctor warned me ages ago that this would become an issue and advised me to downsize the weight and bulk of my camera gear. Yesterday I was taking images of a restaurant for a website, and after the tripod work I struggled to take handheld shots with the D800 + 105DC. So much so that I only felt comfortable using the 50mm handheld. The restaurant owner asked me if I would consider photographing his wedding which I declined because I cannot rely on good handling technique with my present gear. Very reluctantly, I have to seriously consider downsizing to micro four thirds, and I would like to know your honest opinions on whether you think in my position that you could swap to micro four thirds and adjust to the smaller system. I'm a pro and would like to remain one if I can. In recent times I have had lots of low res work (website images) so I know that I can live with a smaller sensor and make some money, but I'm a little disheartened at the moment. So my question is: Olympus, Fuji, or Panasonic?. I need portrait, wide-angle, and macro capability in that order of importance. I'm leaning towards Olympus. Your thoughts would be very appreciated.

Cheers.

RTF.

I'm sorry to learn of your disability. We have something in common, I've been a full-time professional photographer for some time and consequently I have sustained damage to my neck causing permanent numbness in my arms and hands. I also have quite bad RSI and arthritis in my fingers which is also attributable to the stresses and strains of my job. I therefore had to seek alternatives to my crippling a heavy pro-DSLRs and heavy lenses. As a well-qualified and reasonably well-known photographer I cannot contemplate any reduction in the quality of my output and in fact there is no need to even concern yourself about that. Most modern cameras, be they large or small, have excellent sensors which are well-suited to most aspects of professional photography. What really matters is that your kit also offers key performance attributes and more importantly the right optics. All things considered, the OMD and the wonderful Micro 4/3 lenses tick all of the boxes as far as I'm concerned and I continue to be blown away by both the performance and the IQ. In my opinion far too much weight is placed on having a big expensive camera when nowadays something much smaller can be just as good. The only minor caveat with something like the OMD is that you will need to get used to the ergonomics of a much smaller system, and the continuous tracking focus is not on par with a DSLR, should you need it. I have won many international awards over the years using kit which many of you here would regard as primitive yet the little OMD matches up favourably to the best of today's offerings (my DSLRs consist of Canon 5D MkIII bodies). I use the OMD for my location portraiture, editorial work, nature and wildlife photography, in fact pretty much everything. The only occasion I have gone back to my big Canon kit in the last few months was shooting London fashion week, when I was there representing Canon. I would have been equally happy shooting the show with my OMD.

Given the specification of the OMD and the fact that the IQ meets or mostly exceeds that of modern APS C DLSRs I find any concerns to be moot. As a professional you will understand that the output is determined by the skill of the photographer rather than extremely minor differences between one sensor and the next. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised and I sincerely hope that you will be able to carry on your profession in far less discomfort then you are currently in. From me, without the OMD, my days would probably have been numbered.

There is a huge amount of information on both my main Blog and my animal photography blog discussing the OMD and the various lenses: http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/

Some relevant links include:

OMD for portraiture: http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/location-portraits-hampshire/

Zooms compared: http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/pets/panasonic-35-100-f2-8-and-100-300-f4-5-6-olympus-omd/

Lighthearted comparison of 5DMkIII and OMD: http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/pets/choosing-the-right-kit-for-nature-photography/

If you do mostly portraiture the 35-100 f2.8, the 45 f1.8, the 75 f1.8 and the PL25 f1.4 are a photographer's dream.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow