Resolution of M43 lenses

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,734Gear list
Like?
I disagree
In reply to axlotl, Mar 31, 2013

axlotl wrote:

The reviewers at Photozone appear not to have fully accepted that post capture lens corrections are now a normal part of the image making process.

Normal according to whom? Not all lenses require as much software correction as others. Some require very little. Some require much more.

So they RAW convert with RAW Therapee, demonstrate 5.8% barrel distortion at 12mm and decry that as "excessive".

It is pretty excessive for a $1300 lens.

But if, like the rest of us, you simply use the camera as designed and allow the distortion to be corrected automatically in camera then all you will see is a mild amount of residual distortion. In addition the Photozone reviewers say that the automatic distortion correction is "lossy" , however those of us who have actually used the lens for several thousand photos, often critically inspected for sharpness, are unaware of this supposed lossiness.

Whether you have noticed it or not, correction is, in fact, a lossy operation. There is nothing 'supposed' about that statement, and the Photozone reviewers are 100% correct.

They also criticise corner shading which is present but which I hardly ever notice in actual photos and if I do, it is easily removed in a RAW converter.

Relying again on software correction for a problem that should probably be optically corrected in a premium lens.

In other words they are complaining about lens attributes which are of no concern in the real world.

Not true. The attributes are of concern, which is why you must apply software correction in order to fix them. The point is, at what price should we expect a lens to be optically excellent? It costs less to build a lens with poor optics, then correct resulting problems in software.

As long as the manufacturers pass on some of the savings they realize from these cost-cutting measures, I think most are OK with the idea. If, however, a manufacturer builds a lens with poor optics and tries to sell it as a premium quality lens, there are plenty of discriminating buyers who won't appreciate the trick.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow