Photoshop upgrade no longer possible

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wayne Larmon
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,280
Like?
Re: Photoshop upgrade no longer possible
In reply to richardplondon, Mar 31, 2013

richardplondon wrote:

Did the EULA for CS1 specifically say that the license was only good up until, say, 2012 and was invalid after that?

AFAIK the license is perpetual, and if features of the software (such as, checking against a license server) cause it to stop working, then that is in effect Adobe failing to honour their half of the deal IMO (ianal) and so, Adobe's duty to rectify.

However, while licensing and the policing thereof do vary between countries, I believe that a copy of CS at my work (UK), is still running fine, on XP. Perhaps it lacks the checking mechanism, or perhaps if we reinstalled it and it did not authorise, we would contact Adobe and get an activation code or different license number or whatever.

But apparently Adobe refuses to do this with CS(1).  From Toedtoe's post:

This "limited upgrade" is where Adobe irritated me.  I had a full version of PS4.  I upgraded (legally as there was no limit as to how far back you could go) to CS1.  A couple years later, they limited upgrades to "within 3 versions". My upgrade was 4 versions back.  When my computer crashed and I bought a new one, I had to contact Adobe to get authorization to activate my CS1 because it wouldn't take it from the PS4 files.  They did.  Everything is great.

Fast forward several years.  Another computer dead.  Reload software, call Adobe to get authorization to activate my CS1 (that I've been legally using for 5 years or so) and they refuse.  I'm not allowed to upgrade from PS4 to CS1.  I had registered CS1 so they could see that it was a legal purchase, but they wouldn't budge.  If I wanted Photoshop, I had to pay the $700 full price - I refused.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51187747

At the time Toedtoe purchased an upgrade for CS1 Adobe had no limit to how many versions back you could upgrade.   Adobe activated and registered CS1.  But now they refuse to activate it.

Assuming that Toedtoe's account is accurate, can you describe any circumstance where Adobe is following the law?   They sold an upgrade and the purchaser met the qualifications of the upgrade at the time of purchase.  Now Adobe refuses to activate the CS1 upgrade (because apparently they can't keep track of their own qualification policies.)

In my earlier post, I provided a link to a discussion of how Adobe was dealing with shutting down the activation server for one particular version of CS.  I hadn't scoured the web to verify that (apparently!) Adobe has only solved the problem for CS2 and is leaving owners of CS1 out in the cold.

Wayne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
GimpNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow