I think Thom was right, again...

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,676Gear list
Like?
Re: make good use of that high frame rate! ;)
In reply to Event_shooter, Mar 31, 2013

Event_shooter wrote:

I was so broke shooting film that I would have a roll of (24) prints in the camera for months before I turned it it. And would cringe at the development costs ( this was before Costo prices or wholesalers )

Thom is wrong on so many levels It's not worth commenting.

I shoot more in a day than I would shoot in a year with film The price value ration digital to film is enormous.

Agreed.  The cost of entry into the field is NOT close to what it used to be.  You can now do some amazing things with an outfit that costs under a $1000.

In fact, the more I think about it the more I wonder if the low cost of entry is not partly responsible for the near demise of the professional photographer.  Sure there are photographer pros, but it is getting tougher and tougher to survive and raise a family as the local pro photographer...the guy who is the equivalent of the local plumber...the local auto mechanic.  Since equipment prices dropped and easy editing software packages like Portraiture came out, that professional photographer is competing with soccer Moms and Dads with other jobs (maybe that plumber) and even their teenage kids and those guys have priced the market down to below minimum wage.  It is the old rule of supply and demand and we've got an abundance of supply.

Couple that with tight economic times and the devaluing of Art in schools and you have a recipe for industry disaster.

Sure, there will still be guys that find a niche and there will still be the few heros of the industry, the Zach Arias's and Thom Hogan's.  But, like acting, which only requires you bring your body, there are a ton of really, really talented people who never make it.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Duh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow