Compact DSLR vs. OM-D

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
RezaTravilla
Regular MemberPosts: 244Gear list
Like?
Re: Compact DSLR vs. OM-D
In reply to gbhwc, Mar 31, 2013

gbhwc wrote:

I am ready to upgrade from an older fixed lens camera and looking for a versatile camera for:

• Misc. Family Activities
  • Kids sports – outdoors
  • Travel
  • Backpacking & landscapes

Note: The above use list is in descending order of expected use.

I currently have a Nikon so I am partial to them.  The Nikon 5200 has caught my attention.

COMPARING THE NIKON 5200 to the OMD

Size is obviously important and the OMD wins there.

Weigh is also important and the OMD body is 4.6 oz. lighter.  Now sure about zoom lenses but a 4.6oz difference seems minor.

Environmental sealing is a nice feature.

There are a few things I like about Nikon that is better:

-       Low light focusing

-       Built in flash

-       Optical viewfinder

-       Better feel/comfort unless I add optional power battery holder / grips which reduce the weight / size advantage.  (I wouldn’t bring these backpacking and probably not traveling).

-       NOTE: I just compared the reviews from this website and the OMD received a higher rating on ergonomics and handling.  Does this make sense?

-       What else am I missing?  What do you think?

Thanks,  Glenn

The decision is in your hand, Glenn

OMD is a great camera, i almost buy OMD too (in the last moment i chance my mind to Sony RX100) but you must consider the lenses. When you buy OMD, you will never satisfied with the slow kit lens (12-50mm F3.5-6.3).

The range is good 24-100mm but the f-stop so slow. Then you will buy more lens such as the new 17mm f1.8, 45mm f1.8, 75mm f1.8 or just buy the all around zoom lens, the legendary panasonic 12-35mm f2.8?

you will need about f2.8 bellow since you also have interested on photograph kids so that you don't need to use high ISO to compensate speed per second.

About Nikon D5200, i dunno what lenses do you have but if you already invest many of it i suggest you take Nikon D5200. But for i'm concern Nikon lenses besides the fixed lens (35mm, 50mm, 85mm f1.8), the zoom lens f2.8 really expensive.

For f2.8 zoom lens i suggest you take Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 for all around. Yeah i know there's also Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 but it has a bad copy and the autofocus not so accurate. My friend got the bad copy.

oh! if you really like to take a bokeh shot, OMD were beaten compare to DSLR due to the sensor size.

RezaTravilla's gear list:RezaTravilla's gear list
Nikon D300S Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow