Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sovern
Contributing MemberPosts: 907
Like?
Re: (ETTR) is BAD! But saying so is going to get you a lot of flack
In reply to Doug J, Mar 31, 2013

Doug J wrote:

Sovern wrote:

I agree, I gave ETTR a try but honestly beginners are better off nailing the exposure in their camer as much as possible and learning how the histogram should look in camera for a specific scene vs worrying about keeping everything on the right.

This also keeps you safer from over exposing your photos which is the main thing that I mention that is a con from ETTR (You're more prone to losing your highlights).

Very true, but ETTR should not result in overexposure, I see this as the basic issue you raise. Some scenes will have a DR that exceeds the camera's DR abilities, but then this is a decision by the photog on what to expose for, and this is outside of the ETTR discussion.

I agree that getting ETTR right will not result in blowing highlights (the photo will still be naturally overexposed before correction though) but the margin of error for getting blown highlights will always be higher when using ETTR especially shooting on the go.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow