Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sovern
Contributing MemberPosts: 907
Like?
Re: Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!
In reply to Guidenet, Mar 31, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

Sovern wrote:

But anyways, getting it right to me means getting the exposure as correct as possible leading to less PP work needed. This also makes your workflow easier as you don;t need to fiddle around and figure out what the correct exposure is since you overexposed using ETTR.

Getting it right, means getting the way you previsualized it and it doesn't matter one bit when that occurs. If you get that done using the trivial editor in the camera, ok. If you get that done on a better, more robust editor in your computer, great.

Secondly, with ETTR, you're not really overexposing anything. You're staying in the bounds of the histogram. It's about exposing to the right side of the histogram, not to the right of the entire histogram. I suppose it would depend on the definition of overexposing.

I shot a paid event in NY on New Years where we had to print JPEG on location and we had to get it right in the camera....which I did succeed in.

The point is that this is very rare and most professionals don't work that way. We're not like a photobooth handing out JPegs on site. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

If I shot ETTR I think that my partner managing the prints would have thrown me out and we would of had a lot of angry clients haha.

Not had your partner known what you were doing and processed accordingly. Again, this is a rare situation.  I consider the digital darkroom to be an integral part of the image creation process. I'd not expect a client to step into the middle of the process to get images.

I'm not attacking it....I'm just stating my opinion of why I personally don't like ETTR that's all :).

All the best.

But, you did attack it. You attacked it with the title of this thread and with your blog online. You mellowed out in this thread as it progressed.

Take it easy.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

You take it easy too thanks for posting your thoughts and opinions I appreciate the feedback.

Each photographer has their own theory's, philosophies, and techniques, and I can respect that.

With ETTR you are overexposing though. Sure the data is there but if you shot the photo JPEG or even just did a direct transfer from RAW to JPEG on the photo it would be overexposed.

ETTR requires PP work to bring the exposure down.

The title of the thread was done on purpose as to spark up a discussion.

All the best.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow