Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
MarkInSF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,877
Like?
Re: (ETTR) is BAD! But saying so is going to get you a lot of flack
In reply to apaflo, Mar 31, 2013

apaflo wrote:

drh681 wrote:

As you have found.

ETTR was a good Idea back in the early days of digital imaging.

I was there. It was a fair solution.

But that was then, this is now.

And imaging sensors and the accompanying Processing Engines are many, many times better. There has also been an equal improvement in noise reduction capability in our editing programs.

All that adds up to ETTR being a technique that has outlived its practical life.

It has exactly the same significance today that it did with earlier DSLR designs.

No matter how good the precessing is for noise reduction, it does better when there is less noise to start with!

I think drh summed it up perfectly.   No, it can't possibly have the same significance because cameras have improved so much.   When noisy images were the norm it was important, even essential, to use that limited dynamic range effectively.  Now it's typically inessential, enough so that few bother with it.   I do in specific, very limited circumstances where the payoff is noticeable, but most of the time the camera gives me a clean enough image without messing around.  There are more productive uses of my time.   I could spend that time looking at a painting or reading instead of fiddling with my camera.  Either one would probably do just as much to improve my photography (which is pretty rusty right now.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow