Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,813Gear list
Like?
Re: Nobody Makes You Upgrrade...
In reply to flbrit, Mar 31, 2013

flbrit wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Carl Maiorino wrote:

...and that is where Thom Hogan's premise is wrong.  The cameras don't have a self-destruct mechanism that goes off on a certain date.

But unlike with film, you cannot get any improvement in image sensor quality without buying a whole new camera unlike buying different and/or update film for $8 a roll.  Compare that to $3000 for a 35mm dSLR, which is the equivelant to film SLRs.

Film chemistry was not so quick to upgrade its quality. It took years to improve ISO performance and it never reached the iso 6400 quality of todays digital, and beyond,  in 50 years. Digital has gone right by that in less than 10 years. If film were so great, it would still have a large market share right now.

Market share has nothing to do with quality. I presume you MP3 is the highest quality sound medium?

I'll stick with my D800e thanks. For reasons of pure nostalgia, I still shoot Fuji on my N80 once in a very long while and remain disappointed in DR/Noise terms when I do.

if you want nostalga, go use a 4X5 film camera.  It'll offer higher quality at 1/8 the cost.

But hey, if it floats your boat, why not.

-- hide signature --

Brian
Below is a ink to a slide show of some of my snaps (you have to copy and paste)
http://briandrinkwater.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Slide-Shows/28194522_dDKzmW#!i=2384402388&k=TJmRb5p

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Duh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow