Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael de Ruijter
Contributing MemberPosts: 840
Like?
Great Blue Herons Pt.II (2 photos)
Mar 31, 2013

So as mentioned in my previous thread, this morning I cruised around the neighbourhood looking for, and found, the local Great Blue Heron rookery. It's on the west facing side of the land, so this morning it was completely covered in shadow. I went back at about 15:45 and took the K-01, K200mm f2.5, SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter, and the Rear Converter-A 2x-S. The end result is that the K200mm f2.5 is pretty good and yielded essentially better results with cropping than coupled to a converter/adapter. Some of the results were absolutely horrific and I won't even bother sharing them. I now dream of long primes... maybe a cheap ***** with a 400mm f5.6 and a TC. Should cost a lot less than say a Sigma 500mm f4.5.

Anyhow, without further ado, here is one I salvaged taken with the K200mm f2.5 and no converter/adapter. I cropped it down to 2400x1600, processed, and then resized to 7200x4800, sharpened, resized to 3600x2400, sharpened, and resized to 1800x1200. These birds were about 100m from where I was standing. I used a tripod and 2s timed release.

The second photo was taken with the K-01 and DA 40mm f2.8 XS just to show the enormity of the rookery. It would take a bit of effort to accurately tally the GBH's in this one. Oh, and the ugly side of nature is also depicted here... a Bald Eagle waiting for an opportunity to snatch a heron young. They do it all the time.   You can see the naughty little thing if you look carefully.

Click on original and magnify them to see them full size.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow