Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sovern
Contributing MemberPosts: 907
Like?
Re: Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!
In reply to Guidenet, Mar 31, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

First of all, let me apologize for the name calling. That's just plain mean spirited.

Now, you really should also be more careful about how you go about posting a blog on another site which looks to me as if you don't completely understand what you're attacking. Like Mark, I don't really disagree with ETTR but for somewhat different reasons than you profess. They don't blow highlights for starters and that seems to be a lot of what you're saying.

Also, it's pretty much impossible to "get it right" in the camera. That's an old cliched statement that doesn't really mean much in a digital world where the data is stored as zeros and ones. ETTR people claim they're getting it right. Getting is as close as you can, while understanding your post workflow might be closer to correct, but it doesn't sound as good. It's more accurate though.

Take care and good luck.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

I didn't read any name calling.

But anyways, getting it right to me means getting the exposure as correct as possible leading to less PP work needed. This also makes your workflow easier as you don;t need to fiddle around and figure out what the correct exposure is since you overexposed using ETTR.

I shot a paid event in NY on New Years where we had to print JPEG on location and we had to get it right in the camera....which I did succeed in.

If I shot ETTR I think that my partner managing the prints would have thrown me out and we would of had a lot of angry clients haha.

I'm not attacking it....I'm just stating my opinion of why I personally don't like ETTR that's all :).

All the best.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow