Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
miked58
Senior MemberPosts: 1,477Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens dust and legal threat.
In reply to Digital Shutterbug, Mar 31, 2013

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

miked58 wrote:

Perhaps some forum members can suggest sensible ideas.

I sold a used lens in mint condition, unmarked and fully functioning. I did the usual check and ensured no visible dust or fungus, went over every feature etc.

Several weeks later the recipient is threatening legal action unless I refund the entire money. They complained dust was now visible in the lens.

They said the dust had been there for years and that a shop had verified this. My response was I believe fair and I can not see how you determine when dust entered. I have offered to get the Canon service Centre to look at it if necessarily at my cost.

The purchaser is aggressive and not prepared to consider anything but a refund or legal threats.

-- hide signature --

Canon 650D, Canon 600D, Oly E-pm1, EFS 15-85mm IS, efs 10-22mm, 24-70L, 100-400L, 24-105L, EFS 18-135 STM, Tokina 50-135 f2.8, EFS 55-250mm IS, 580EX, Hensel and Elinchrom studio lights, Canon Ixus 80IS

Did you sell with a warranty? If so, for how long. Typically, used equipment is sold as is, or only a few days are allowed in which to return the item if the buyer is not satisfied. Several weeks is a long time to expect a refund unless that time period was specifically stated.

I'd probably tell him/her to take a take a flying leap......

Steve

PS, I too would like to know how one determines how long dust has been present.

I sold as used item but preferred them to  pick up and also subject to full inspection prior to payment (The purchaser selected to receive by post instead) . I always do this so that there are no nasty comebacks. I have had excellent feedback until this person!

My worry is if they have abused the lens and I refund there may be other damage..then I have no recourse to getting money back judging by their demeanour..

-- hide signature --

Canon 650D, Canon 600D, Oly E-pm1, EFS 15-85mm IS, efs 10-22mm, 24-70L, 100-400L, 24-105L, EFS 18-135 STM, Tokina 50-135 f2.8, EFS 55-250mm IS, 580EX, Hensel and Elinchrom studio lights, Canon Ixus 80IS

miked58's gear list:miked58's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PM1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow