D600 Auto Focus Points - Who Thought That Would Be A Good Idea?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 3,947
Like?
The D800, a two birds with one stone camera.
In reply to Paul Schatzkin, Mar 31, 2013

Paul Schatzkin wrote:

Once I get used to this particular er.... limitation... I think I'll feel the same way.  Really don't want either a D700 now or a D800 ever... that's why I finally pounced on this one... <*sigh*>

Really, why not a D800 ever, unless the additional cost over the D600 is the stumbling block? It has several advantages that the D600 doesn't have. First, it has a dedicated AF-On button just like the D300s (maybe you don't use AF-On?) Second, while it doesn't have the frame rate of the D300s, it has a DX crop mode that gives you a great 15-16mp DX sensor that produces better images than the D300s. So you can continue to use the lenses you already own, the same way you're using them now, but getting better resolution and high ISO/lower noise performance. And this gives you a very concentrated AF sensor array that practically fills the DX frame. But if you have (or want to buy) a 24mm lens, switch back to FX mode and you have the true 24mm field of view that you apparently have been so patiently waiting for.

The D800 also has two frame sizes between FX (36x24) and DX (24x16) format. There's 5:4 (30x24) and 1.2x (30x20) which may not have a vignetting problem with most DX lenses. The maximum frame rate for the FX and 5:4 frame sizes is 4 fps. The DX and 1.2x frame sizes get up to 5 fps, and if you shoot using a power source other than the EN-EL15 battery, the maximum frame rate for the DX frame size increases to 6 fps, just a smidgen below the D300s's 7 fps and the same as the D300's 6 fps (without the battery grip).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow