Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
MarkInSF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,859
Like?
Re: Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!
In reply to Guidenet, Mar 31, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

First of all, let me apologize for the name calling. That's just plain mean spirited.

Now, you really should also be more careful about how you go about posting a blog on another site which looks to me as if you don't completely understand what you're attacking. Like Mark, I don't really disagree with ETTR but for somewhat different reasons than you profess. They don't blow highlights for starters and that seems to be a lot of what you're saying.

Also, it's pretty much impossible to "get it right" in the camera. That's an old cliched statement that doesn't really mean much in a digital world where the data is stored as zeros and ones. ETTR people claim they're getting it right. Getting is as close as you can, while understanding your post workflow might be closer to correct, but it doesn't sound as good. It's more accurate though.

I suppose I should play nicer, too.   I'm sure you are trying to be helpful in writing this article (this is addressed at the OP, not Craig.)   I do think there are legitimate issues to be raised with turning ETTR into a belief system, but it's more like a harmless eccentricity than a cult.  If photographers take good pictures, it doesn't matter much how.

If they have enough time to spend messing with getting the least possible noise, I envy them.   It doesn't look productive to me.  Great images are great because of composition, subject, color relationships, etc. - the same stuff artists were worrying about 500 years ago.   Slightly less noisy shadows are not going to make or break an image for me.  If I were a pro fashion photographer I might feel differently.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow