D7200: More Megapixels, more DR, or improved high ISO IQ? Locked

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Mr Physics
Contributing MemberPosts: 662Gear list
I totally aggree...
In reply to john Clinch, Mar 31, 2013

john Clinch wrote:

High iso started to top out on the D300. DR jumped on the D7000 thanks to a lower iso setting.

I'm not sure that much more can be done in a sensor this size

As a physicist I really really hate the tone of posts like this. A huge team of very clever people dedicate huge time, expertise and experience to pushing back what is possible. Then some one on website says "Hey Nikon where is the extra dynamic range"

Lets just say that Dr now exceeds what DXO mark thought they'd ever have to measure

$1200 dollars. I think you'll need $2500 to change the law of physics. Or a few bucks more for a D4 with a larger sensor and space for micro lenses

...that we have seem to have reached a plateau in terms of sensor response to light.  If squint my eyes at DxO's DR chart with the D90, D7000 and D7100, I don't see much of a difference. It looks as though if Nikon choose to extend the ISO range of the D90/D300, we could extrapolate the DR graph to see that the 12mp sensor would be in the same range or the D7000 and D7100. The only real improvement was the addition of a real ISO100 setting and the added range that the extra light gives.

We can only see a dramatic improvement when we compare a later generation, say the D70, against the D90 or newer. And we can see it in the files more easily. To "see" the difference between the response to light from a D90 to a D7x00, you have to measure it with apparatus sensitive to these specific measurements. We all would hard pressed to determine which print was the result of which machine, no?

I have a Physics education as well and I don't see how we can apply Moore's the these devices that record visible light. They are only improving at a snails pace now...most of the recent improvements seem to be firmware refinements and smoke created in the marketing department (e.g. 24mp).

Best regards,

Tony

Mr Physics's gear list:Mr Physics's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +10 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
easyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow