How much is expensive lens for you??

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,623Gear list
Like?
Re: How much is expensive lens for you??
In reply to Joseph Prawiro, Mar 31, 2013

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

Hi,

As i am not active poster on this forum thou I'd Like to ask an interesting rather sensitive questions. I m still rather new in photography coming from Canon powershoot to Entry level DSLR  and now M43 i love my omd and collecting 4 lens so far 12-50, 25 f1.4 , 45 f1.8 and zuiko 40-150 mk2.

What i m asking are

1.How much in an expensive lens??  everybody has their psychological affordability i.e not everybody would buy a 100$ ice cream, or some people think leica is rightly price. the reason i m asking this is i ve been lurking rather much and this week I saw 2 post that quickly goes to 150 replies in matter of days , and those 2 are moving to FF or DSLR thread. some are very heated discussion and m43 lens "expensiveness" are rather a big part. If u are uncomfortable with number , stating which most expensive lens you think rightly price would be more ethical go ahead.

Since i started discussion i guess its only fair if i answer the question my self for me around$500 or  panasonic lens  25 f1.4 are affordable for me

2. What the next new lens for m43 you really want at the right price??

so most cheaper m43prime are okay for me what i really really want is a cheaper quality zoom, my kit zoom are plenty decent but like alot of people i too has GAS and even though i know it wont make my picture better i still want it something like a cheaper 12-35 albeit slower but with sharpness that close to a prime price arnd 500 is that asking too much??

ps: i m not trying to imply m43 lens are expensive i ve heard the argument from both side, and i couldn't care less, since i have no intention to migrate or maintain another system. everybody is diffrent i just like  to know how different 

It really depends on the lens.

Something special and super versatile like the old 12-60 I would pay quite a bit for. I think I paid almost $1300 for that lens.

Something useful, but not necessarily truly special, such as the 75-300, was too expensive at $1000, but at $600 I consider to be fine.

But I won't buy lenses without a definite need or role for them. I probably won't buy the 40-150, even if I do find it for $100, simply because I am unlikely to use it to fill the gap from 50-75 (or 60 - 75 depending on which lenses I'm using).

In general my photography is landscapes, wildlife, macro and I buy lenses to suit that. If my photography changes to something that requires fast lenses, then I'll look at the primes.

With regard to the "expensiveness" of m4/3s lenses. Some are, or were (75-300), too expensive. However, in general the argument is flawed by people cherrypicking like mad. That's why the postcount went up so fast in that other thread.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
$500New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow