Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
MarkInSF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,875
Like?
Re: Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!
In reply to Sovern, Mar 31, 2013

Sovern wrote:

apaflo wrote:

Sovern wrote:

I see a lot of new photographers learning about exposure and then quickly being told that they should use a method of exposure called Exposing to the Right (or rather, ETTL). I went into depth as to why in my opinion, ETTR is bad, and especially bad for new photographers that want to develop a consistent base for their ability to get correct exposure correctly the first time around with worrying about losing highlights.

Me personally, I believe in getting the exposure/shot correct the first time in the camera and exposing properly versus to the right as many benefits as shown in the article presented below.

http://warrenjrphotography.com/blogs/

This is also the beginning of articles that are aimed at enthusiast/beginning photographers that want to learn more and discuss various techniques, philosophies regarding what gear you need, lighting, and so on.

Thanks for viewing all the best.

Your blog article lists 5  supposed reasons that ETTR is bad, but all 5 are invalid, and simply wrong to the point of being ridiculous.

Not a good start on trying to teach.

Can you back up your statement of why my 5 points are wrong?

When shooting a portrait where the sky is involved wouldn't you agree that shooting to the right is bad as your neglecting the lighter details in the photo that are naturally bright such as clouds and the blue sky?

How about flash photography and it creating bad habits?

I couldn't even find five points.   It's one point repeated, with #4 being slightly different, but so vague I don't even know what it's about.  I may even partially agree with you, but this reads like religious mania, not photography advice.   No beginning photographer is going to be able to make any sense of what you're saying, even if they have been somehow indoctrinated into the ettr cult.  Not that many are.   It's a fairly minor cult.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow