Why is Nikon so slow at fixing botched repairs?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,661Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is Nikon so slow at fixing botched repairs?
In reply to GeneZh, Mar 31, 2013

GeneZh wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

Where are you located?  I just sent my D800 in for service to the LA service center before the warranty expires.  I complained about back focus and asked them to examine the left AF point as my camera was shipped first day of the release.  Repair was B1 and they listed all the tests they did.  Camera was back in my hands in about 11 days.

Wherever you are sending yours there seems to be a history of long waits.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Did they fix your "back focus" problem?  Mine has front focus problem.  For the 1.8 primes, I need to set focus auto tune to "+20".  I don't know if it gets better if setting further back.  And the middle, leftmost and rightmost focus points are also a lot different from each other.  I never tested other points.  I sent it in for service, but returned without noticeable change.  How is your repair?  Just in case if someone wants to know, my camera is from the 1st batch of release.

Yes they did.  My 70-200 lens that required -20 AFMA now requires around -5 (depending on focal length).  My 50mm f/1.8 AF-D used to require -18 and now is at -5.  My 24-120 f/4 used to be at -10 and is not at 0.

I haven't run the FoCal tests for testing all 51 AF points yet.  However, I can say that the left and right AF points are equal and only slightly worse in PDAF than CDAF when tested with the 50mm lens.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JoeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow