Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
Review: Dicapac bag for RX100
Mar 31, 2013

I bought the Dicapac waterproof bag for my RX100 and tried it out kayaking on the river today.

Pros:

The camera stayed dry.

Cons:

The bag is poorly designed so that the end that rolls up is on the right hand side blocking the shutter button and zoom control. If you try to put the camera inside the bag upside down to avoid this problem, then the stiff seam in the bottom of the bag blocks the shutter.

It is impossible to operate the camera one-handed with this bag. Often when shooting from the kayak, I need one hand free to hold my paddle or hang onto a rock in the middle of a rapid.

The rigid tube which holds the window is not big enough to go over the control dial around the lens on the camera. Because of this, the camera lens does not stay lined up with the tube. When you turn the camera on, the lens tries to extend and jams, restarting several times.

Because the lens does not stay centered well, the edge of the window shows up in some photos.

Many buttons and control dials are not usable through the bag. It is barely possible to actuate the shutter and zoom control. Other buttons such as the movie rec button are easily actuated by accident just handling the bag.

Water drops are a big problem on the window. I usually bring a piece of chamois to clean the drops off before shooting, but I forgot to take it with me today.

The screen is difficult enough to see in bright light without the bag. The shiny vinyl of the bag makes it even harder to see.

The Worst:

Somehow in handling the camera, I managed to set it in TOY CAMERA mode so all of the photos look like they were taken with a cheap plastic lens, yellowed and vignetted. Since the screen was hard to see, I did not notice this until I looked at the photos later. This was my first trip on this section of river, one of the most beautiful places in the state and i have no good photos to show for it.

I may go kayaking again tomorrow and try it one last time but my verdict for now is "Don't waste your money on this POS."

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow