Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
cjnielsen_nz
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?
Re: Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!
In reply to apaflo, Mar 30, 2013

apaflo wrote:

Sovern wrote:

I see a lot of new photographers learning about exposure and then quickly being told that they should use a method of exposure called Exposing to the Right (or rather, ETTL). I went into depth as to why in my opinion, ETTR is bad, and especially bad for new photographers that want to develop a consistent base for their ability to get correct exposure correctly the first time around with worrying about losing highlights.

Me personally, I believe in getting the exposure/shot correct the first time in the camera and exposing properly versus to the right as many benefits as shown in the article presented below.

http://warrenjrphotography.com/blogs/

This is also the beginning of articles that are aimed at enthusiast/beginning photographers that want to learn more and discuss various techniques, philosophies regarding what gear you need, lighting, and so on.

Thanks for viewing all the best.

Your blog article lists 5  supposed reasons that ETTR is bad, but all 5 are invalid, and simply wrong to the point of being ridiculous.

Not a good start on trying to teach.

That should have been titled "why trying to teach photography when you have no idea what you are talking about is BAD"

cjnielsen_nz's gear list:cjnielsen_nz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow