D600 Auto Focus Points - Who Thought That Would Be A Good Idea?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,157Gear list
Like?
Thanks
In reply to ultimitsu, Mar 30, 2013

ultimitsu wrote:

antoineb wrote:

If I did this, I would get:
- a slightly bigger and heavier camera which I would take to even LESS places, when my D7k already stays home a lot because of its size and weight

Really? body weight difference is about 9%, add a lens the difference is about 6 or 7%, you would leave it home because it is 6% heavier?

- limited use of my more modest DX lenses, 35mm f1.8 and 18-200mm f3.5-5.6.  And so perhaps eventually the need to buy more Nikon lenses (which is probably exactly what Nikon wants form me..)

No, you get exact same use out of your DX lenses, they just dont magically turn into FX lenses.

- AF which is exactly the same as on my D7k but possibly will be more put to the test as FX has shallower DOF all else being equal

It is not the same, it received a software and possibly a processor upgrade.

- a bit less battery life

About 1/7 less. Does that really make a difference?

and finally, I would also get an opportunity to be bothered by the dust/oil issue affecting the D600

Not quite finally is it?

You also get:

- 2.5 times better high iso performance

- 50% to 100% resolution improvement depending on the lens

- access to much narrower DOF.

- slightly more DR but in better quality

- slightly better colour depth

So overall, I would pay for a new body, potentially have to pay for more glass, and not get much if anything more from it, and possibly suffer from various larger and smaller issues.

So sorry Nikon, I'm not even going to try this camera out.  Good luck with it!

I certainly am not advocating you to buy a D600, but in the spirit of a fair and reasonable discussion, I think your analysis ought to be corrected. It is true that D7000's sensor is already quite good and if you do nto need the extra benefit from FF then there is no point in upgrading. Lets just not pretend that these benefits do not exist.

On the weight:  your figures are correct of course.  I guess what I mean, is that the D7k is already large and heavy enough that it seriously limits my ability to take a good camera to all the places I'd like to take it to (business trips including to distant places, daily commute, various sports, mountaineering etc) - WITHOUT HAVING TO PACK SPECIAL just for it.  As photography is not my professional activity.

On the lenses:  I know I can recycle my DX lenses - I just lose a lot of resolution.

On AF:  I think if Nikon had truly improved it, they would have said this in their marketing material.  So I will assume it is largely unchanged.  However, I do see that it is more sensitive - the D7k is pathetic for low-light AF (even old compacts beat it easily, not to mention the D90), so nice to see Nikon get back to where they had been some time ago.

On high ISO:  frankly my D7k is quite good up to about ISO 2000 even in JPEG with auto WB, then starts breaking down a bit though can still deliver quite useable images up to ISO 4000 or so.  So even if I can get a couple stops more from a D600, this won't matter to me.  It might matter to people regularly photographing musicians in clubs.  Or sports in low light.

On resolution:  the D600 is 24mp, vs my D7k's 16mp.  If I can still count, this is a mere 50% additional resolution.  And that's just 22% more linear resolution each way.  Don't see how this is going to make any real difference except for the few situations with perfect subject and shooting conditions, and where I would want to enlarge to several feet each way.  I occasionally do bit have even 8pm images that look fine at this size.

On shallow DOF.  I sometimes enjoy shallow DOF, but I also see that quite a few photographers overdo it.  With my 85mm f1.4 at short range, it is already a challenge to have enough DOF on portraits - I don't see what even less DOF would give me.

So, thanks again for your thoughts:  but really I don't see the point.  I just enjoy so much the freedom I have with a pocketable superzoom or my iPhone - of course their IQ is generally lower, but at least I have a shot which is better than what the D7k gives me, sitting on a shelf because it's too big and heavy. My next step will probably be the Google glasses with on-board camera!

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow