Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steve_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,026Gear list
Like?
Re: Steve
In reply to rtf, Mar 30, 2013

rtf wrote:

Do you have experience with the OM-D grip?. It looks like it would improve the camera's handling without adding to much bulk/weight.

It will keep your customers convinced you are using a serious camera. The OM-D looks like the pit-bull of digital cameras with it fitted, much more impressive.

Other than that, I find it does increase the weight enough to bother me. And while portrait shooting is great with it, I actually like the hold for landscape shots better without it. The bare OM-D has an unconventional layout, but it works for my fairly large hands other than it being too hard to find the 4-way controller with my thumb while the camera is at my eye (to move the focus point). And surprisingly, that concern is much less an issue when I don't have the grip fitted.

In your case though, it may be better. You could fit a hand-strap and support more of the weight with your right hand. I tend to support most with the left hand (under the lens, unless the lens is too small to cradle) as I'm always pushing things on the shutter speed side of things to keep the ISO down. I like to do little more than press the shutter with with my right hand.

You'll have to try the grip to really know, but for me it only helps handling when shooting portrait, hurts it when not, and does increase weight noticeably. I don't even consider using the top part alone. And it is pricey.

If my back were doing a little bit better I'd probably still be using mine, but as it stands it stays at home these days. I do miss the extra battery capacity, though.

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow