Blogger Ming Thein: GH3 a "consumer appliance"

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
danijel973
Contributing MemberPosts: 644Gear list
Like?
Re: Blogger Ming Thein: GH3 a "consumer appliance"
In reply to MPA1, Mar 30, 2013

Here we come to the issue of original vs. influenced/group thinking. I think we can safely ignore the possibility of being completely beyond the group influence unless you're a hermit on some island without electricity. So basically "I am an individual who is not influenced by groupthink" is usually rephrased "I am scared sh**less of being absorbed into a group entity that negates my individuality so I'll make a show of doing some superficial things differently just in order to calm myself". Groupthink isn't about buying canikon cameras and iPhones, groupthink is about social networking based around equipment purchase and use.

The question is what to do about it. What I do is become aware of it. Awareness, in buddhism, isn't just a pointer towards solution, it *is* the solution. When you're aware of being influenced, it means you're not really influenced, you observe influence taking place but you're a detached entity with sufficient freedom as to take non-conditioned actions.

So the solution isn't really to buy m43 instead of Canon or Nikon. The solution isn't to buy Samsung instead of iPhone. The solution is to see what's going on and make non-automatic decisions. In many cases, you'll actually choose the same as the group because it makes sense. In other cases, you'll see the cliff and stay away.

danijel973's gear list:danijel973's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow