Why the x100s files are lacking

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Toemoss
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: Why the x100s files are lacking
In reply to mr moonlight, Mar 30, 2013

mr moonlight wrote

I can't speak for the X100s since I don't have one yet, but I imagine that Fuji's exposure settings will remain the same as it did on the Xpro1. If you put the Xpro1's shutter speed into Auto mode, the shutter speed will increase from 1/100 to 1/200 if you increase the ISO from 3200 to 6400.

Compared to my 5Dii, Fuji's ISO is about a 1/3 stop behind. If I want my exposures to look like my 5Dii, I take a reading and add 1/3 stop. If you're shooting in an Auto mode, push the exposure comp up 1/3 stop and you're good to go. A 1/3 stop in ISO is not going to make a noticeable difference in noise. I think it's just a case of telephone tag where 1/3 stop turned into 3 stops a ways down the line.

I'm usually wrong but I did not think the Fuji approach to ISO rating ever necessitated adjusting the exposure comp in Auto mode. In Auto mode wouldn't the Fuji just tend to select a slightly higher ISO then most other cameras, all other things being equal? I sometimes wonder if DPReviews studio scene test would be more useful if instead of setting the camera's ISO they just reduced the scene's lighting and let the camera choose its ISO. Then you would be able to compare one camera's result against another for a given dim light situation and presumably you would see the Fuji's tend to select a higher ISO to get the correct exposure. And I wouldn't care what the ISO number says, just what camera gets the cleanest image for each lighting level.

Cheers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow