Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kerusker
Contributing MemberPosts: 737Gear list
Like?
Re: My current method to determine AF-Fine Adjust values
In reply to DarylK, Mar 30, 2013

DarylK wrote:

Kerusker,

I just gave this a try.  I very much like your general approach/concept.  However, what I did varied a little from the alternative approaches you mentioned.

What I did was do multiple focuses using live view with observation of where the distance scale of the focus ring most consistently stopped relative to a fixed mark on the lens barrel.

Good idea. I left the problem how to focus most accurate in LV to the reader (AF in LV or manual focus in LV). Some lenses may not auto focus very well in LV - then you approach may not be the best. But that's easy to find out.

Then, I tried various fine focus adjustments using PD-AF until I was satisfied I found the right setting that most consistently set focus to that same point.  This method worked on all the lenses I typically carry around except for the 18-135 which doesn't have a focus ring that has distance settings (or moves when focusing for that matter).

Why not use a little adhesive sticker on the focus ring?

Thanks for the tip!

Glad that you tried it and gave your feedback.

I think it's a good method to learn about the AF behavior of a lens easily. And maybe the 'focus shift' and 'fine adjust irritation' problems are getting down to what really happens - at least a bit ;).

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow