Blogger Ming Thein: GH3 a "consumer appliance"

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,830Gear list
Like?
Re: Blogger Ming Thein: GH3 a "consumer appliance"
In reply to Len_Gee, Mar 30, 2013

Len_Gee wrote:

Do you really  care about his comments  as long as the camera works for you?

Does the camera meet your needs?

That's what really matters, isn't it?

It is, but IME many people like to have their choices validated by others because they do not have the courage of their convictions.

The inter web has rather created a 'groupthink' approach to camera equipment purchasing (and no doubt many other things too) by way of being able to gather hundreds of opinions on particular matters in mere hours. The number of "which lens shall I take to Europe/Africa/Japan' questions is a good example.

Anyone who grew up PI (Pre Internet!) used to get their information from monthly magazines that offered very little by way of interaction: just reviews of new stuff and learning articles, plus lots of glossy ads from Canikon etc.

Having the confidence to make your own choices and paddle your own canoe is something that the internet seems to be eroding. Many people are now concerned with whether they are making the popular decision because if it is popular it must be right.

I don't subscribe to this method at all (which is not to say I never read other people's views or take them into account) and here are some heresies that I committed:

1) I do not even own Photoshop. I hate it and refuse to use it. Indeed I believe that for 90% of photographers it is not the right solution now that there are many alternatives.

2) I don't like the Nikon D800!

3) I think tripods are a waste of time for all but a few special situations

4) I don't own any camera backpacks as I think they are a PITA

I am sure there are more, but these conclusions would be difficult for someone who is immersed in the groupthink to arrive at as they are contrary to the crowd-sourced 'wisdom'.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow