Suggested settings for greatest shots at beautiful little temp amusement park?

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ronfab1
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?
Suggested settings for greatest shots at beautiful little temp amusement park?
Mar 30, 2013

I was driving up to my son's house last night to dog and house sit, and over on the left in a park area I pass was a mini amusement park set up.  Ferris wheel and other usual traveling show rides.  The colors were gorgeous as I drove by so I determined to stop by tonight on the way for dog sitting day 2.

For sure I will have my GH3 and will start off with the F1/4 Panny/Leica 25mm.  Probably will leave the 12-35mm F2/8 home but am taking the longer 35-100mm version that will be in a black pouch on my waist.  I will use that same pouch in front of me to help stabilize the bottom of the camera with the untabilized 25mm lens on it.

If I feel safe in the environment I might also go back to the car and bring in also my Sony A77 and the lens I love to use most on it, the 28-135mm "Secret Handshake" legendary zoom.  It is so sharp and the colors are incredible and the photographs it takes I love at that higher resolution from the Sony's ASP C chip.  I just don't want to be conspicuous as the park can at random times like anywhere else be a place where "trouble" might be walking around.

I have never in my life photographed an amusement park at night.

Please....help me out here with what you would do in this type of setting with the gear above.  I will not have a tripod with me but will do my best to hold steady all of the shots.

Aperture priority? Shutter speed priority? Any tips?

The GH3 I will limit to 1600 ISO max and play around with much lower ISOs, hoping to get spinning and moving colorful shots in and out of focus with the widest apertures on all the lenses.  The A77 probably the same ISO limit.

Thanks for any tips!!

I will come back and post if I come up with pics that are worth sharing.

Ron

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow