what are you shooting at 300-400mm ?

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,610Gear list
Like?
Birds
In reply to jubilatu, Mar 30, 2013

jubilatu wrote:

I am analysing the possibility of buying a 300mm f/4 for sport (not much till now), concerts (a few times per year) and portraiture (which i did at 85-105mm till now) . Wildlife, insects & stuff are not my interest for the moment.  I was looking at flickriver for lens having these focals, but your direct answers would be more helpful.

Do you have a DX or FX camera? 300mm is quite a bit tighter on DX. I have DX.

I've done some portraits with a 300mm but that was only because I ended up on the other side of a river from my subject; it's hard to communicate at those distances.

So, I am just curious what are you shooting at these focals in order to understand if i will use the lens (my first over the 105mm barier) or i just let it to cath dust.

I use my 300 almost exclusively for birds, where it's almost long enough. I use a 70-300 for most other telephoto work because the flexibility of a zoom works better for me than the better sharpness of a prime.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow