Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,164Gear list
Like?
Chest pods and Fujis
In reply to paulski66, Mar 30, 2013

Firstly, have you looked at chest-pods? A good one will completely support the camera, leaving you to just operate it.

If you do decide to downsize, remember that micro 4/3 is a lot smaller than FF and that APS-C is mid-way between the two. Personally, I use a Fuji X-E1, although if you want an optical VF most of my comments apply to the X-Pro1 as well. The X-pro1 probably 'looks' more professional if you have clients that worry about such things -- many people mistake it for a Leica!

The image quality is as good as you can get in a crop sensor, with the earlier RAW conversion issues apparently now overcome. With the latest firmware focusing is pretty good, inless you need to do stuff like tracking skiers or F1 racing cars. In terms of A/F performance I'd definitely be happy to use it for weddings and other events; it's a lot quicker than my old Rollei or Hassleblad!

There is a new generation of Fuji coming through with faster auto-focus, although no sign of tracking as such. Best guess is that the updated version of the X-Pro will be announced about the end of this year.

The present problem with the Fuji line is that there are not many lenses available yet, but it has the essentials already and should have a decent line-up by the end of the year. The good thing is that you can use a huge array of adapted legacy glass if you can afford the time to work manually -- there are no adapters with autofocus available. I use mine with Nikon lenses, including my macro gear.

I'm quite happy with the electronic finder, but I've used them, on and off, since the late 70's. The X-Pro1's finder is a bit lower resolution than the X-E1.

I hope you find a solution to your problem. It's a real bummer.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow