Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bill Borne
Forum ProPosts: 18,242Gear list
Like?
Re: My Riverwalk with an HX300
In reply to Stephen McDonald, Mar 30, 2013

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Steve, You may be right on the cam??  Or maybe not??

IMO without having the cam I really don't think you can make a judgement call without using a TRUE TRIPOD. Then make the call. If cam performs well with a tripod, then....
If it does not...then <mission control> we have a problem

Did you ever think that focus problems in Video at such a high zoom  could be from camera movement?

Just some thoughts

Bill, the HX300 video image stabilizer works very well and quells movement even better than the one in the HX200V. Some of the videos I shot with the HX300 in good light were very steady and motion wasn't causing the autofocus to waiver. When I put a 1.7X telextender on the HX200V, I don't get the same loss of quality and also focusing deficiencies in lower light levels. Even when the focus of the HX300 was steady at full zoom, the video looked displeasing and low in resolution.

And it isn't just a matter of using a high zoom, as many of my photos at close range, in good light, were not even passably good. As hard as I tried to get a good shot of a bunch of daffodils, all of the shots were duds. Last week, I took one of the same bunch with the HX200V and it came out nicely. The HX300 tends to over-expose in sunlight even more than previous models and I often had to lower the EV three clicks. Even then, it seemed to need something I couldn't arrange for the camera to do.

Here's one from yesterday at 35X that looks better than most of them, although not very well framed. I'm not eager to put my full-zoom photos from this camera up here and have my name attached to them. I think that other people who have gotten this model, will find out soon enough the effects of this lens at high zoom and also the over-packed sensor and perhaps other factors.

It would be interesting, if the price of the HX200V went up, after a few more months has passed. What makes me wonder, is what they might do with this line of cameras next year? Could it get any worse? Of course. My earlier suggestion about buying another HX200V as a spare, is sounding better to me every day I continue to use the new model. But if you want to see results that are even worse in a new 50X camera, take a look at the Fuji Forum and see what they're putting up from the HS50.

-- hide signature --

Without the cam I really can't dispute what you are saying! I'm wondering if you got a "Bum" camera or if Zoom technology is just not there yet? Somewhere I read that someone said they thought the Zeiss lens didn't live up to it's reputation? After reading your many posts If I did get one I'd have to get it locally so I could take it back if not satisfied.....I do like the zoom for wildlife, but.....You are making me think twice if not 3 times

-- hide signature --
 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H200 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow