Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,783Gear list
Like?
Re: Why I Prefer the E-5 over the OM-D
In reply to Forgottenbutnotgone, Mar 30, 2013

Forgottenbutnotgone wrote:

Skeeterbytes wrote:

I finally figured out the CAF, as a small bonus.

Could you please elaborate? It would seem to me that any information you can share in this regard could quite potentially be quite a large bonus to a great number of people.

Thanks!

Robert

Hi Robert,

If folks don't mind indulging me talking about the E-M5 here, in contrast with the E-series, the fourth AF mode is CAF+Tr, for tracking rather than CAF+MF for manual focus as with the E-series. Especially with the "R" µ4/3 lenses, I was able to employ it on my DIF--daughter in flight--running around at the beach while retaining my desired framing. (My usual process is to lock focus between frames using SAF, but I seldom get the best framing this way since I keep her dead center.)

In CAF+Tr, the green focus square was able to follow around the full frame as she raced around the shore, not merely back and forth but also moving nearer and farther away. I'm just now uploading and reviewing a couple thousand shots so haven't pored over them, but on casual review the results look promising. I used the humble mZD 40-150 a lot on this trip, and wonder whether the system works reliably with a faster long tele with shallower DOF.

It's not perfect. The tracking frame would occasionally wander off my kid to a cresting wavetop or other, more "interesting" subject. I question its potential in very busy (cluttered) settings, but those are experiments for another day. I did try tracking the beach gulls and it was able to do so, somewhat, although they were awfully close and I had to pivot on my feet to try and keep them in the frame.

I'm also trying to figure out why I occasionally get a white focus frame when using a manual legacy lens. It might be face detection trying to work, but I just don't know.

In complexity per ounce, I've never used a camera that approaches the E-M5. It's a challenge.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow