Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
dholl
dholl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,167
Canon 100D, or entry-level Nikons

rtf wrote:

I know that I can live with a smaller sensor and make some money, but I'm a little disheartened at the moment.

You can stick with Nikon, or for even lighter go to Canon 100D.

If Nikon, shoot RAW using their smallest DSLR (D3200/D5200).  You have to stick to certain AF lenses, but a 35mm f1.8 or 1.4/50 are quite small n light and get good reviews and the kit 18-55mm VR is very good and only weighs 260g (the 17-55 weighs 3 times as much).

For Teleportraits you might again have to stick with the kit 55-200mm VR, but it is also very good and light.

You lose DoF-control, and some IQ, by going from a D800 + f2.0 135mm to a D3200 + kit lenses and 1.8/35.  But the advantages are:

- you still stay within the same system

- these entry-level Nikons are able to mount pre-Ai Nikkors tho' you have to meter manually (the Series E are light and good quality)

- you get more resolution and slightly-better high-ISO performance with APS-C than Micro-Fourthirds (I don't find the NEX or Fuji X or Samsung NX systems ripe enough if you're a pro).

- you get to keep the use of an optical viewfinder (rather than electronic).  And with the live-view, you can use a simple LCD-Loupfinder which acts as a 3" electronic viewfinder.

Also, consider the new Canon 100D.  The Canon system has the advantage of a huge lens & accessories selection.  It also meters with any old lenses, and can mount OM Zuikos which are known to combine lightness with high-IQ.

I would go 100D and check out light primes and zooms (there's plenty out there, the Canon forums can help).

Weight differences incl. battery):

Panasonic gx1 - 320g (plus allow for the VF-attachment)

Olympus E-PL5 - 325g (plus allow for the VF-attachment...if there is one)

Canon 100D - 410g  (optical viewfinder included)

Olympus OM-D - 425g

Panasonic GH3 - 550g

Nikon D3200 - 500g

Nikon D5200 - 550g (advantage of having the flexi-display and arguably better sensor performance than the D3200)

D7000 - 780g

D800 - 900g

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow