How much is expensive lens for you??

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,886Gear list
Like?
Re: Everything is relative
In reply to LMNCT, Mar 30, 2013

LMNCT wrote:

It does depend on the lens.  I just purchased the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100...so I guess if you add the cost of the two together my toleration is on the high end.  I like quality and clarity so I am willing to pay more to get those things.

I'm in the same situation. I just bought both these lenses to with my GH3. My other lenses are also PL: 8 mm fisheye, 14-140 and 100-300. I suspect the 14-140 may now get much less use -- unless there's some overriding reason to walk with only one "do-everything" lens. I essentially paid for the GH3 and f/2.8 zooms by selling an EOS 7D, Canon 70-300L lens (so bulky I seldom used it) and a couple of other lenses. The 70-300L new was $1700, so I guess that's the most I've spent for a single lens; that white paint commands a premium

With two relatively small, high-quality, f/2.8 zoom lenses covering (effectively) 24-200 mm, I probably won't be adding any primes unless there is some overarching need -- though the PL 150 f/2.8 will surely tempt me. They cost a total of around $2600. But taking a prime-only approach, as some photographers do, you can reach that sum pretty fast. For me these two PL zooms were a good buy.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
$500New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow