Blogger Ming Thein: GH3 a "consumer appliance"

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,291Gear list
Like?
Re: Ming is one of few camera reviewers who actually takes great pictures.
In reply to Jorginho, Mar 30, 2013

Jorginho wrote:

danijel973 wrote:

What I find annoying in the entire matter is that he is routinely referred to as "a blogger", which is a convenient way of getting around the fact that he is an excellent commercial photographer with some of the most technically perfect and beautiful results I've seen in the world of product photography. He's "a blogger" in the same way Einstein is "a mediocre violin player" or Hemingway is "an alcoholic from Florida". "A blogger" is someone who has no other distinction or qualification other than writing a blog, and to many people here a top photographer suddenly becomes "a blogger" when he criticises their camera.

In short: we need not go ad hominem. I find the Hemmingway and Einstein comparison overdoing it quite  a lot. Ming is not the Einstein of photography in my book, but I think he is very good at it. Whatever, that is completely irrelevant.

What is relevant is what he concludes and how he comes to these conclusions. He lacks skills

Why does he lack the skills? I can't see that.

to give a helpfull review for those who want a GH3 cam and use it to the full. He has a very personal view on ergonomics (which is okey) and he has made it clear he simply did not use the camera as much as he used others and blames the camera for it.

If the camera as a view finder as the GH3 has, I would also stop using it extensively. Obviously, the camera has so many showstoppers for Mr. Thein that he could not see any reason to make even deeper analysis of it. A very reasonable approach. By the way, his review is at least as detailed as many other reviews (usually with uncritical positive results).

The problem is that the review did not yield the results, the GH3 buyer expects.

He can blame it for his reluctance to use it, he cannot blame the cam for acting upon this feeling.

Sure he can.

That is his choice. In doing so he introduced his bias into his review.

In that sense, he comes close to a blogger and not to a reviewer I think. In this case. We should not generalise this to all his reviewing/blogging etc.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow