TG-2 sample shot at ISO 100 and my initial impression

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,125Gear list
Like?
Re: TG-2 sample shot at ISO 100 and my initial impression
In reply to Jefftan, Mar 30, 2013

Robert Anderson wrote:

The thing about diffraction is that it does not happen suddenly like dropping off a cliff but gets worse gradually with smaller apertures. It is visible more easily with higher MP sensors when viewed at 100% size. At smaller size viewing or printing the effects are not as noticeable. But then what is the point of having more MP if the images are not sharp at full size?

I agree that these high MP cameras with such a small sensor are just a marketing gimmick. They are not able to resolve the full resolution of the sensor partly because of diffraction and also because of noise. I see either noise or noise reduction at base ISO and it only gets worse from there.

A larger sensor compact at 10 MP in a tough camera would be perfect for me.

Right now just Olympus and Canon waterproof camera have "only" 12MP

your wish of 10MP will never come true.  They will only go up in the future.  But the fact Olympus and Canon have "only" 12MP get my respect that they are true camera company.  Not just gadget maker

A f 2 lens will not get into diffraction so easily. With a F3.9 lens even Canon D20 may get into diffraction

The online calulator I mention above suggest diffraction at about F3 for 12MP 1/2.3 sensor

There are advantages to large MP counts. Noise patterns become finer, DR improves.

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow