My Riverwalk with an HX300

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bill Borne
Forum ProPosts: 18,408Gear list
Like?
Re: My Riverwalk with an HX300
In reply to Stephen McDonald, Mar 30, 2013

Stephen McDonald wrote:

I don't like to put model numbers in my subject lines, but this time it's necessary. It was the first bright, sunny day since I'd gotten an HX300. So I went out to give it as good a run at taking photos and videos, as I could. I spent six hours and shot a lot of scenes.

It seemed as though this camera was working nicely, as I was shooting. But to my regret, when I looked at them on a larger screen later, I wasn't able to get the results I wanted or anything close to them. This was especially true when the zoom was out near its long end. The photos I took at full zoom, do not look good, nor do the videos. The autofocus for video was slow at high zoom levels, even in bright light and would go in and out at times. In every way, the performance of this camera is very opposite the excellent service last year's HX200V has given me. I've gotten some passably-good photos of landscapes or closeup flowers with the HX300, but most shots have looked very poor.

I think that the limit for zoom lenses has been found and now it's been exceeded. The same could be said for the number of pixels on small sensors. I have restored confidence in my HX200V and recommend it as a substitute, to anyone who is thinking about the newer model. Anyone who can master the HX300 and produce good results from it, will have earned my respect and admiration.

To those who have sold their HX100V and HX200V cameras, to buy this model, all I can say is that I'm glad I've kept both of mine. I might even grab another HX200V, as the price comes down. If you think that a Canon SX50 is a good alternative, read the user reviews about its 50X lens on its Amazon webpage.

-- hide signature --

Just a very slight tweak makes a difference?

But why shoot a landscaspe at F:3.2 ?????

And as I said here....   http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51181002  which relates to walts post.

Tweaked

-- hide signature --
 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H200 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow