Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John De Bord Photography
Senior MemberPosts: 1,246
Like?
Photographing Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge
Mar 30, 2013

So, this has been quite a productive year already. I have been busy photographing Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge which I can only describe as paradise for nature and wildlife photographers. Located in Denver, it is a location which many don't know about in spit of it being in a major metro area. The place is absolutely gigantic in size and has quite a storied history being an old weapons manufacturing site for the military and later a superfund site for the EPA. Since being cleaned up, it is beaming with life; Coyotes, Bison, Deer, Bald Eagles, on and on. It really is a very special place and it has absolutely been the focus of my photography the last few months. In a way it is nice as it is so very close and has allowed me to concentrate on wildlife. So, the next time anyone is in Denver I highly suggest getting here!

I thought that I would share some of my images I have taken over the last few months with you all. These were all photographed using my A550. Lens breakdown basically is Sigma 170-500mm, Minolta 18-70mm (yep, old kit lens, my copy is sharp!) Sigma 28-90 Macro, Minolta 35-70/f4, Beercan. Wildlife photos all taken using a Puffin Pad and generally landscapes were shot using Fotodiox filters (Grad ND, CPL) and tripod.

Away we go!

A little "behind the lens action". First image taken with my Droid and the second is the image my camera was taking at the time.

Perhaps one of the largest Mule deer bucks I have ever seen and the subtle light and fog made for great atmosphere

Sunrise before entering the wetlands area. Fog is rare in Colorado & I am all about it as a photographer whenever I see it.

A landscape study of the Arsenal

An unbelievable backlit sunrise over the front range...there was a snowstorm in the mountains and the rising sun turned it pink. Love skies like this!

Ferrugineous Hawk keeping a close eye on potential prey

Another shot of the Ferrugineous Hawk

Sunrise Over the old Willow trees

You all should have seen me shouting at this scene. I was over the moon with the light.

Now and then it just all comes together doesn't it?

All about light and color.

Another study of the sunrise over the old Willow trees

Cottontail in fresh snow

Mule deer ...she made for a great model for me

Another photograph of the Cottontail

Spring is in the air as the Mountain Bluebirds are starting to return

Coyote on the prowl while hunting

The wetlands come alive at sunrise

Lake Ladora at sunrise

Sunrise over the Rockies and Lake Mary

A study of the light and how the color was creating layers along the boardwalk at Lake Mary

Western Meadowlark belting out a tune

A face only a mother could love

Such awesome animals, always a joy to photograph the Bison

-- hide signature --
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow