Is professional photography dying out?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: Is professional photography dying out?
In reply to deleted080512, Mar 30, 2013

Machine Gun Kelly wrote:

Speaking as somebody that has run a part-time photography business for a few years and almost completely failed to attract customers, the question has to be asked.

It's not as though I haven't tried - I just can't get anybody even to look at my portfolio. Let's see what I've done...

Yellow Pages - one or two calls about irrelevant matters

Website - no visitors

Van signage - one or two calls from other "pros" digging for information.

I did get a ton of people calling trying to sell me stuff from my online contact information. The web form attracted loads of resumes and spam. The web phone number attracted loads of people trying to sell insurance, internet services, credit-card devices.

Chamber of Commerce - polite interest but nothing more.

TV advertising - no callers.

Radio advertising - no callers.

It's all a very nice tax deduction but leaves me with very much the feeling that nobody wants photography any more - especially since most people now have a camera on their phone that's really quite acceptable.

One of the major problems is that people only want 1024 x 768 images to put on Facebook. I don't think they care about anything else.

Simple answer is, yes, at least for people like you...

Digital photography is cheap, even full frame cameras that are capable of producing stunning image quality are in financial reach of most people and with so many internet resources available to learn how to use the camera, people are able to grasp the basics and start shooting acceptable images very quickly.

I know this will upset the pro's but the harsh reality is an amateur with a £/$2000 setup can take photos 90% as good as a pro. This leads to "Uncle George" doing the wedding photos for all people on a tight budget, and all other family events.

To my mind the only money soon to be left in photography is a handful very good wedding photographers in each town/city/area who charge high prices for couples spending huge amounts on their big days, along with commercial stuff, nature and paparazzi.

The days of having a photographer to small weddings, christenings, birthday parties, retirement parties, etc are pretty much dead and not a place to be starting a new venture.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow