How much is expensive lens for you??

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,138Gear list
Like?
Many good points already made...
In reply to Joseph Prawiro, Mar 30, 2013

Personally I look for a lens to fill a role or a gap in my needs.  The 75/1.8 before the Pany 35-100 was the only fast native tele length.   And it's performance is unquestionable, that is an appropriately priced lens, albeit more than the other primes, but accordingly.  Likewise the Pany f/2.8 zooms seem expensive in comparison to the other available lens isn't similar FL, but they bring all the bells and whistles to the party, and warrant the price for now Because they are better than the existing lens offerings in their range and have a higher specification ie, weather sealing, OIS, coated optics.  If and when Oly matches the lens for performance the Pany will lose some of those exclusive features and need to come down a little in my mind as far as cost goes.

On a totally personal note I wouldn't shudder at any lens $300-500USD new that fills a specific role.  And the used market is quite good still for most of the lens available.  I do think that our lens assortments will never achieve higher values like say the old Leica or Zeise optics, the focus by wire features make them useless on lower systems, where older legacy or manual glass will never out live its usefulness.

Too expensive in my mind $1200 for lens that are totally dependent on the systems electronics and with such poor manual features in comparison to others.  This is the one thing I don't like about the m4/3 system of lens,  fly by wire focus.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
$500New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow