Anybody experience with Fader ND Filters??

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Questions thread
Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,080Gear list
Like?
Re: Anybody experience with Fader ND Filters??
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Mar 30, 2013

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Posted this also on µFT forum, but I guess that Leica Noctilux shooters would probably be a good target for my question...

With a superfast lens on its way towards me, I think I will be needing some ND filtering in order to be able to shoot at large aperture in bright light.

This caught my attention : the Light Craft Workshop (LCW) Fader ND Filter (Mark ii).

It's a filter that can "fade" between 2 stops and 8 stops of ND strength.  Sounds convenient.

But of course convenience comes at a price (and I am NOT just referring to money).

The fading effect, insofar as I understand it, is created by having actually two polarizer filters on top of eachother, with an interaction creating the different stops of density.  That sounds like it would degrade image quality more than just using a regular 2stop ND or a 4stop ND or and 8stop ND.

Does any of you have experience with this kind of filter?  The brand in question or others?

(I will also experiment with the filters I already have : my ND filters are of the square Cokin kind and I am not too happy with them, but I have a reasonably good circular polarizer in the right filter size, so I will try how that one works for starters: it's between  1 and 1.5 stops of density.)

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

VND comes with two prices: Monetary and IQ.  While Singh-Ray is considered better (the best?), and more (most?) expensive, VND comes with some "well-known" characteristics.  A lot of people, particularly pros, swear to their greatness.  Obviously, stacking two LPL/CPL filters will lead to some trivial behaviors. It's not my cup of coffee.  I drink green tea.

Steven

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow