Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
crosstype
Regular MemberPosts: 165Gear list
Like?
Re: Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated
In reply to ultimitsu, Mar 30, 2013

ultimitsu wrote:

rtf wrote:

I would like to know your honest opinions on whether you think in my position that you could swap to micro four thirds and adjust to the smaller system. I'm a pro and would like to remain one if I can. In recent times I have had lots of low res work (website images) so I know that I can live with a smaller sensor and make some money...

My experience tells me that clients do care what gear their paid photographer use. they do not necessarily know what camera is what, but to them the bigger the better, and the better they feel about spending money.

I could be wrong, but I think you could lose customers if you show up with a m43. Not that your photos will be noticeably worse, its just it doesnt give people the impression that it is professional gear. Maintaining the appearance of profession is part of the game.

You can consider going D600, it is 160grams lighter than d800. mounted with 85 F1.G8 it is about the same weight as D800 + 50 F1.8G. You can also consider switching to sigma 70 F2.8 macro over  105 F2.8, the 70mm is 200 grams lighter too.

I agree with this. D600 would be a good pick if OP can afford that weight. The bulky (and DSLR-like) Panasonic GH3 is not heavy and also makes a good choice.

crosstype's gear list:crosstype's gear list
Sony RX1R Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow