How much is expensive lens for you??

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,010Gear list
Like?
Re: How much is expensive lens for you??
In reply to Joseph Prawiro, Mar 30, 2013

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

danijel973 wrote:

Not a bad set of questions. Well, what is an expensive lens for me, it depends. I would usually draw a line at some 800 EUR, because that's how much I usually paid for my Canon lenses, but I would probably draw a line somewhere at 2500 EUR and not buy a lens I need, if it's that expensive; I'd try to find a more affordable option.

I guess it depends where you are coming from, if you re used to L/ FF lens prices m43 will be a bargain, if you are upgrading from compacts then m43 lens will be rather steep

papillon_65 wrote:

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

Hi,

As i am not active poster on this forum thou I'd Like to ask an interesting rather sensitive questions. I m still rather new in photography coming from Canon powershoot to Entry level DSLR  and now M43 i love my omd and collecting 4 lens so far 12-50, 25 f1.4 , 45 f1.8 and zuiko 40-150 mk2.

What i m asking are

1.How much in an expensive lens??  everybody has their psychological affordability i.e not everybody would buy a 100$ ice cream, or some people think leica is rightly price. the reason i m asking this is i ve been lurking rather much and this week I saw 2 post that quickly goes to 150 replies in matter of days , and those 2 are moving to FF or DSLR thread. some are very heated discussion and m43 lens "expensiveness" are rather a big part. If u are uncomfortable with number , stating which most expensive lens you think rightly price would be more ethical go ahead.

Since i started discussion i guess its only fair if i answer the question my self for me around$500 or  panasonic lens  25 f1.4 are affordable for me

2. What the next new lens for m43 you really want at the right price??

so most cheaper m43prime are okay for me what i really really want is a cheaper quality zoom, my kit zoom are plenty decent but like alot of people i too has GAS and even though i know it wont make my picture better i still want it something like a cheaper 12-35 albeit slower but with sharpness that close to a prime price arnd 500 is that asking too much??

If you don't mind losing the 12mm then the Panasonic 14-45mm is the nearest lens to what you want.

I will read the review on this lens, 12 mm is rather useful now i m used to that FL, losing it, is a rather big compromise

I'm afraid that the 14-45mm is the best of the type of lens you are looking for. Some people are happy with their 12-50mm and some are not, so that's another option. I've also read that the Panasonic 14-42mm (second version) is also very good but again you are at 28mm.

ps: i m not trying to imply m43 lens are expensive i ve heard the argument from both side, and i couldn't care less, since i have no intention to migrate or maintain another system. everybody is diffrent i just like  to know how different 

Personally I struggle to justify anything over £800 for my needs and generally I go quite a bit lower than that. That being said you never lose a whole lot on good lenses so it's not like it's money wasted and I expect to recoup around 70% of my initial outlay at worst if I sell a lens on. Sometimes I get very close to the original price but I do look after my gear. I don't think thats a bad return on something I get a lot of enjoyment out of.

-- hide signature --

For the person who is good with a hammer, everything in life tends to look like a nail.....
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

Tony i have read(yep the whole 150 post) your moving to FF thread, very interesting read and very informative  since i have never own FF i guess i would always wonder how green the grass on that side, but for now m43  is plenty good for me

The grass is always greener no matter which side you're on :-). It is a case of me trying it for myself and I will blog about it when I've done it for a while. So far it's been interesting and not quite what I expected, in a mostly good way though :-). I'm doing it on a budget, and surprisingly, it can be done cheaper than I thought, all will be revealed in due course.

-- hide signature --

For the person who is good with a hammer, everything in life tends to look like a nail.....
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
$500New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow